Welcome to The Loopy Whisk!
I’m Katarina Cermelj (Kat for short) and I’m the recipe developer, writer, photographer and food science nerd behind The Loopy Whisk. I’m so excited that you’re here!
I founded The Loopy Whisk in late 2016, just before starting my PhD in Inorganic Chemistry at the University of Oxford. I’ve always loved food and baking in particular – but then in 2015, I had to eliminate gluten and dairy from my diet due to a whole host of health issues. And I encountered the question that all people with dietary requirements have to ask themselves at one time or another: what do I eat now?!
That was the beginning of my allergy friendly baking experiments. My initial results were rather dismal but over time and with the help in my scientific background (and a good deal of stubbornness), I managed to develop allergy friendly recipes that are basically indistinguishable from their “regular” equivalents (and, importantly, that are also incredibly easy to make). And I share them all with you, right here!
Feel good recipes for all dietary requirements
The Loopy Whisk isn’t “just” a gluten free blog or “just” a vegan blog – instead, it covers recipes suitable for all sorts of dietary requirements! So, if you’re looking for proper can’t-believe-it’s-gluten-free bread or the most delicious vegan cakes: you’re in the right place.
I try to provide as much information as possible with my recipes. That includes detailed step-by-step photos in the blog posts, simple scientific explanations of WHY the recipes work, as well as fairly long recipes with my top tips scattered throughout. But don’t let the length of my blog posts and recipes scare you away! The fact that they’re long doesn’t mean that they’re complicated – it just means that I’ve provided you with all the information you might possibly need to create your own masterpieces.
And even though my recipes span a wide range of different dietary requirements, they all have several very important things in common:
100% reliable & scientifically grounded
All my recipes go through several rounds of testing until they’re absolutely perfect!
No strange or difficult to find ingredients (unless absolutely necessary).
Easy to make
I always try to simplify my recipes as much as possible – so, if I’ve included a certain step or ingredient, you can be certain that it makes a difference!
You couldn’t possibly guess that they’re gluten free, dairy free, egg free or vegan!!
Here’s a selection of some of my all-time favourite recipes from the blog. And yes, they all include chocolate… what can I say, I’m a HUGE chocoholic (seriously, chocolate is my favourite food group) and I firmly believe that there’s no such thing as too much chocolate.
Stay up to date & keep in touch on social media!
More about Kat
Here are a few more random bits and bobs about me, as well as answers to some frequently asked questions!
- I’m originally from Slovenia, but have been living in the UK (near Oxford) since 2012.
- I have a PhD in Inorganic Chemistry from the University of Oxford and I completed my undergraduate Chemistry degree at the same university. I’m a huge science nerd, and could talk about the science of food and baking for hours.
- After completing my PhD in late 2020, I’m now devoting all my time to developing new, delicious recipes for The Loopy Whisk! Yes, I’m now a full-time blogger, food writer or photographer, and I couldn’t be happier about it.
- I’ve written a cookbook!!! My very first cookbook, Baked to Perfection: delicious gluten free recipes with a pinch of science, was published by Bloomsbury in 2021 and has been described as “the only gluten free baking book you’ll ever need”.
- Weirdly, while I prefer baking sweet treats, I’m actually more of a savoury person! If I had to choose between a slice of chocolate cake and pizza, I’d go for the pizza every time.
- I’m OBSESSED with hummus. Seriously, I could eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner (and often do, actually) and never get tired of it.
- Although my journey into allergy friendly cooking and baking started because I had to eliminate gluten and dairy from my diet, I can actually eat both nowadays. However, I’m still incredibly passionate about developing delicious allergy friendly recipes, so that aspect of The Loopy Whisk definitely won’t be changing any time soon.
- Similarly, although I share many vegan recipes on the blog, I’m actually not vegan myself. I just find baking without eggs, dairy and other animal products equal parts challenging and gratifying – really, the science behind vegan baking is just incredibly fascinating!
The only gluten-free baking book you’ll ever need!
From proper crusty bread, pillowy soft cinnamon rolls and glorious layered cakes to fudgy brownies, incredibly flaky rough puff pastry and delicate patisserie – you can find it all in my book. And it’s all GLUTEN-FREE!!
If you have a question about one of my recipes, about possible substitutions, have spotted a typo (they do happen, unfortunately!), or just want to chat about the incredibly fascinating science of gluten free baking: I’d love to hear from you! You can e-mail me on [email protected], I will get back to you as soon as possible. You can also find me on instagram, facebook, twitter, and pinterest!
If you’re a brand looking to collaborate, send me an e-mail on [email protected] and check out the Work With Me page.
If you’re interested in using my photos or recipes on your website or blog, please see my Copyright section.