If you have 30 minutes to spare, make these delicious vegan tahini cookies. They’re healthy and easy to make – but more importantly, with their crispy caramelised edges, sweet chewy centre and an amazing tahini flavour… they’re absolutely to die for.
These cookies take, start to finish, less than 30 minutes… And about 5 minutes to gobble up while standing over the counter “waiting for them to cool”. Oops?
There’s something terribly tempting about them. It could be the crunchy caramelised edges. Or the sweet chewy centre. Whatever it is, these vegan tahini cookies are equal parts pretty and delicious.
As it happens, they’re also SUPER HEALTHY – without being obvious about it. That’s right, these bites of tahini goodness are gluten free, dairy free, vegan and paleo… and they do it effortlessly.
The ingredients are simple:
- maple syrup
- vanilla paste
- baking soda
- pinch of salt
- almond flour
- sesame seeds
That’s it. Just simple ingredients you probably already have in your pantry. But the results are spectacular. If you’ve never tried using tahini in a dessert, you need to give these a try.
Trust me, there’s so much more to tahini than just being one of the main ingredients of hummus. It’s absolutely incredible in sweet treats, and these vegan tahini cookies are a wonderful introduction into the world of sweet tahini treats.
Of course, you could omit rolling the cookies in sesame seeds before baking… but why on Earth would you want to??? Just look how ridiculously pretty that coating of white and black sesame seeds makes them!
You’ll love these tahini cookies. Promise.
Because when you take a bite, you don’t think about the fact that they’re healthy or vegan or paleo. Instead, you think about their amazing texture, delicious flavour, and the fact that you want to hide them all far far away so they remain yours and yours alone.
Also, top tip: they’re even better the next day (and the day after that). Though, let’s be honest: there’s no way they’re gonna last that long.
If you like what you’re seeing, subscribe to my newsletter to keep up to date on the latest recipes and tips!
Quick + Easy Vegan Tahini Cookies (Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Vegan, Paleo)
- 1/2 cup (100 g) tahini
- 5 tbsp (95 g) maple syrup or honey (if the cookies being vegan isn't a concern)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla paste
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup + 1 tbsp (100 g) almond flour
- 3 tbsp white sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp black sesame seeds
- In a bowl, mix together all the tahini cookies ingredients except the sesame seeds.
- Mix together the white and black sesame seeds in a small bowl.
- Shape one tablespoon of the cookie dough into a ball, roll it in the sesame seed mixture and place it onto a baking sheet lined with baking paper. Using the flat bottom of a glass or measuring cup, gently compress the cookie ball until it’s about ¾ cm (1/3 inch) thick.
- Repeat with the rest of the cookie dough and refrigerate for about 15 minutes.While the cookies are chilling, pre-heat the oven to 180 ºC (355 ºF).
- Bake the cookies at 180 ºC (355 ºF) for about 8 minutes or until slightly spread out and light golden brown on top.
- Immediately out of the oven, the cookies will be very soft. Allow them to cool on the baking sheet for about 10 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.
- The tahini cookies keep well in a cool dry place in a closed container for about 1 week.