Thin, delicate and perfect for filling with a multitude of toppings: these delicious gluten free crepes (French-style gluten free pancakes) are easy and quick to prepare, and make an absolutely amazing breakfast treat!
It was 9 pm on a Monday, and I wanted some gluten free crepes. Not thick, American-style fluffy pancakes. No, the French version. The thin, delicate pancakes perfect for filling and rolling and folding.
People have all these misconceptions about crepes (or, more accurately, crêpes). How they’re difficult to make, and fragile, and easy to tear, and impossible to flip… surely, then, making a gluten free version of these thin pancakes has to be an impossible task.
Not. At. All. You see, I grew up on French-style crepes. They were a thing you would quickly throw together on a weekend, for a lazy breakfast. There was always a multitude of toppings to choose from. Sour cream and sugar (absolutely divine), jams and marmalades, Nutella (of course), chopped nuts for the crunch… it was a DIY pancake feast, and it was always always incredibly fun.
Later on, when gluten free became something I had to think about, I didn’t give up my crepes. Heavens, no! And adapting the original recipe was truly a piece of (pan)cake. Just swap the normal wheat flour for a shop-bought gluten free flour blend, and throw in a pinch of xanthan gum. That’s all there is to it.
But anyway, there I was, at 9 pm, with my stack of… actually rather pretty gluten free crepes… and I could hardly wait to tuck into them. But, of course, because they were oh-so-pretty, I simply had to take just a few pictures.
“Just a few pictures” evolved into a full-out photoshoot – as you do, living a food blogging life. But I am actually super happy I took that time: because I can now share this SUPER EASY (and incredibly delicious) gluten free crepe recipe with you!
Seriously, you can have these crepes made in about 15 minutes! And even though they’re gluten free, they taste (and look and smell) just like any well-made French crepes.
The toppings… those, I leave to you. Get as creative as you want. I actually had a few gluten free crepes just straight-up plain – they are delicious whichever way you eat them.
If you like what you’re seeing, subscribe to my newsletter to keep up to date on the latest recipes and tips!
Gluten Free Crepes (French Style Gluten Free Pancakes)
- 1 1/4 cup (150 g) plain gluten free flour blend (I've used a simple store-bought blend of rice, potato and maize flour with no added xanthan gum)
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tbsp melted unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cup (300 mL) milk
- In a large bowl, whisk together GF flour, xanthan gum, sugar & salt.
- Add the eggs, melted butter & 1/2 cup milk. Whisk well until you get a smooth thick batter. Add the rest of the milk gradually, whisking continuously.If needed (if there are any flour clumps), pass the batter through a sieve.
- Heat up a non-stick pan and, once hot, butter it slightly.
- Add 1/2 cup of batter to the pan: as you pour the batter, swirl the pan around to get an even thin coating of the batter.
- Cook on medium-high heat for ~1 minute, or until the crêpe loosens from the pan & is golden brown on the bottom.
- Flip & cook for a further 30 seconds - 1 minute, then place on a plate to cool.
- Repeat with the rest of the batter.
- Serve with fillings/toppings of choice.
Looking for more delicious GLUTEN FREE desserts? I’ve got you covered!