Crumbly, buttery cookies bursting with orange flavour, dipped into dark chocolate and sprinkled with sea salt. Made with both the orange zest and the juice of a freshly squeezed orange, these orange cookies are the real deal. The perfect afternoon pick-me-up treat, for when you start craving something sweet and delicious.
Let’s take a cookie break today. Mmkay? Let’s just sit down, and relax, and nibble on a cookie. Have a cup of tea or coffee – the mellow kind that makes you feel all warm and comfy, rather than jittery and allovertheplace. There’s been too much allovertheplace lately.
And if you don’t have any cookies on hand – let’s make some. There’s nothing quite as relaxing as making cookies, and pretending you haven’t eaten half the cookie dough by the time it gets to the oven. May I suggest these gluten free chocolate dipped orange cookies? You’ll love them. I know I do.
Chocolate + orange is one of the greatest flavour combinations out there. It’s just a fact. The fragrant freshness of the orange zest, combined with the deliciousness that is chocolate… perfection.
There’s no extracts or artificial flavourings in these cookies. Na-ah, don’t even think about it. I don’t want to hear it. We’re using fresh oranges, zesting them and juicing them. Yes, these chocolate dipped orange cookies have double the orange factor, with both the orange zest and the orange juice working together to make the best orange cookies ever.
The result is a crumbly, buttery, sweet cookie, bursting with orange flavour. We’ll half-dip it into dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids, or more… if you’re feeling brave), which makes it all pretty and even more delicious. If you’re feeling fancy, add a sprinkling of sea salt – and prepare yourself to experience a flavour explosion.
So now, you have your chocolate dipped orange cookies. Grab a cup of tea, or coffee, or even milk, and let’s chill together. Let’s talk about everything and nothing at all, and just… be, in the midst of all the surrounding allovertheplace and busybusybusy.
If you like what you’re seeing, subscribe to my newsletter to keep up to date on the latest recipes and tips!
Chocolate Dipped Orange Cookies (Gluten Free)
- 3 cups (375 g) plain gluten free flour blend (I've used a simple store-bought blend of rice, potato and maize flour with no added xanthan gum)
- 3/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 1/4 cups (155 g) powdered sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 2/3 sticks (185 g) cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 3 egg yolks
- zest of 2 oranges
- 5 - 6 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3.5 oz (100 g) dark chocolate, melted with 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- sea salt optional, for sprinkling
- In a bowl, sift together the gluten free flour, xanthan gum, powdered sugar and salt.
- Add the cubed cold unsalted butter, and use your fingers to rub the flour and butter together until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg yolks and orange zest, and mix together with the fork.
- Add the orange juice, 1 tbsp at a time, stirring well with a fork after each addition. After you've added about 5 - 6 tbsp of orange juice, use your hands to bring the dough together in a ball. Knead it together briefly to get a smooth cookie dough – if there are too many dried bits, sprinkle with a bit more orange juice and briefly knead again.
- Wrap the finished cookie dough into cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Pre-heat the oven to 355 ºF (180 ºC) and line a baking sheet with baking/greaseproof paper.
- Roll out the cookie dough until it's about 3 - 4 mm thin. Use a round cookie cutter (I used one about 2 inches/5 cm in diameter) to cut out the cookies.
- Transfer the cookies onto the lined baking sheet and bake them in the pre-heated oven at 355 ºF (180 ºC) for about 15 - 17 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Allow to cool. Once cooled, dip the cookies into dark chocolate and sprinkle with sea salt.
- The gluten free chocolate dipped orange cookies keep well in a closed container in a cool dry place for about 1 week.
Looking for more delicious cookie recipes? You’ve come to the right place!