This mason jar hot chocolate makes the perfect edible Christmas gift. With a simple hot chocolate mix, chopped dark chocolate and homemade marshmallows, this simple yet thoughtful DIY gift will be loved by all – even by the grinchiest of Grinches!
It’s (finally) December – so turn up the Christmas music and let’s talk Christmas gifts. But not just any old Christmas gifts, na-ah. Edible Christmas gifts.
There’s something remarkably heart-warming about giving gifts one can eat. It’s like you’re saying: “Look, you’re super duper important to me and I’m expressing my love by supplying you with amazingly, mouthwateringly delicious food. Aren’t I the best (insert relation here) EVER?”
Even more amazing than edible Christmas gifts are edible Christmas gifts you’ve made yourself. I don’t care if it’s incredibly simple, slightly wonky and not-at-all-polished: the fact that you’ve taken the effort and made a loved one something they can eat… makes you the best person ever. Can we be friends?
Also, just think about it: every time they enjoy your tasty creation, they’ll think of you. And in the case of these mason jar hot chocolate Christmas gifts… you’ll be associated with chocolate. And marshmallows. Which, as we all know, is only the biggest compliment (ever).
This post may contain Amazon affiliate links. For additional information, please read my Disclosure Policy.
So, mason jar hot chocolate. It’s been around a while, hasn’t it? A favourite of Pinterest, I’m sure you’ve come across it.
But, honestly, if you’re not a baking/cooking aficionado, it’s a fool-proof DIY Christmas gift that looks absolutely adorable and is perfect for cozy winter days.
While you could easily use a store-bought hot chocolate mix, store-bought marshmallows and chocolate chips… let’s go a step further, shall we?
We’ll make the hot chocolate mix (it’s really easy), make our own homemade marshmallows (couldn’t be simpler) and chop the chocolate by hand – because love comes through in the little details. Nothing says “you’re really important to me” louder than homemade marshmallows. It’s a fact.
There’s nothing quite like giving a friend a mason jar hot chocolate, saying: “Yep, I’ve made the marshmallows, as well. Just for you.” And then to see their face light up and eyes sparkle with the knowledge that some homemade sweet stuff is in their near future. Even the grinchiest of Grinches would love such a gift.
And just picture this… your loved ones sipping decadent hot chocolate topped with sweet, fluffy marshmallows – and thinking of you. Now isn’t that a nice thought?
Of course, because it’s Christmas – and Christmas isn’t Christmas without a bit of over-the-top and almost-kitschy decorations – feel free to go a bit nuts when it comes to decorating these mason jar hot chocolate gifts. Colourful Christmas ribbons, reindeer wrapping paper for the tops, holly berries… everything goes.
So, dear friends, here’s to plenty of delicious edible Christmas gifts this holiday season.
May you give them, may you receive them – and watch this space for more AMAZING DIY edible gift ideas!!!
Mason Jar Hot Chocolate DIY Christmas Gifts
- 1 cup homemade hot chocolate mix (Note 1)
- 1/2 cup chopped dark chocolate (or dark chocolate chips)
- 1/2 cup homemade marshmallows (Note 2)
- 1 mason jar
- wrapping paper, ribbons, etc.
To make the mason jar hot chocolate:
- Preferably using a funnel, transfer the homemade hot chocolate mix into the mason jar (bottom layer).
- Add the chopped dark chocolate or dark chocolate chips (middle layer).
- Top up with homemade marshmallows (top layer).
- The mason jar hot chocolate keeps well in a cool dry place for about a week (before you give it to an extra special person).
To prepare the hot chocolate (with marshmallows):
- To make a homemade hot chocolate (1 serving / about 1 cup), add 1/4 cup of the hot chocolate mix to a saucepan (make sure you get plenty of the chopped dark chocolate, as well!). Add 1/4 cup of milk of choice (dairy or non-dairy) and mix it with the hot chocolate mix into a paste. Add an additional 3/4 cup of the milk and stir it well. Cook the hot chocolate mixture on medium-high heat with constant stirring until it thickens to the desired consistency (about 5 - 10 minutes).If you want a thicker hot chocolate, just add more hot chocolate mix!Top with some homemade marshmallows and enjoy!
Looking for more delicious Christmas inspiration? You’ve come to the right place!