This healthy cookie dough ice cream sundae is everything you’d want a sundae to be, plus more. There’s the amazing vegan refined sugar free salted caramel sauce, the gluten free cookie dough, and the dairy free ice cream – which are all individually amazing, but together… they will blow your mind.
Let’s talk about bananas. They’re the one fruit I couldn’t do without (although currently, I’d say the same for watermelon, but that’s because it’s hooooooot). They’re this magic fruit that makes decadent milkshake-like concoctions which are actually healthy, as well as ice cream that you can eat for breakfast.
I’ve been making smoothies before they were “a thing” and I’ve been whipping up nice cream (a.k.a. frozen banana ice cream) also before it was “a thing”. (And yes, I am so totally proud of that.)
Because, you see, I luuurve healthifying and allergy-friendlifying things. (Yes, those words are made up.) And when I say luuurve, I mean it’s bordering on an obsession. But because this obsession produces ohmygoshsodelicious results – I’m not complaining.
And you won’t either, especially when I present to you the awesomeness that is this healthy salted caramel cookie dough ice cream sundae. Yes, do take a minute to process what I’ve just said (written?).
Healthy: gluten, dairy and refined sugar free, vegan and paleo.
Salted caramel: luscious sweet deliciousness based on my paleo & vegan caramel sauce.
Choc chip cookie dough: there are no words – cookie dough ice cream is the best thing ever.
Ice cream: that cool creamy thing we all love, in a healthy (!!!) form.
Sundae: because the only thing better than ice cream is a lot of ice cream with more things piled on top of it.
Add to that that it’s easy to make, you probably have most ingredients in your kitchen right now… I mean, what’s not to love?! Just look at it:
Now, you might be thinking that bananas are not your favourite thing – but that’s the abracadabra with bananas: once you freeze them, they lose some of their banana-y (<— totally a word) flavour, and become this creamy, almost caramel-tasting scrumptiousness. Of course, if you absolutely hate bananas… make ice cream with coconut cream and maple syrup instead. But do use the salted caramel sauce and chocolate chip cookie dough part of this recipe.
(Because you’ll regret it if you don’t. Wait, that wasn’t a threat. I won’t come to your house and force-feed you cookie dough. I’m not like that… I’ll keep it all to myself. MWAHAHAHA. Okay, weird moment over.)
Actually, now that I’ve had some time to think about it: there’s one thing I don’t like about this healthy cookie dough ice cream sundae: it disappears way too quickly. Oh well, I’ll just have to make another batch.
P.S. You can totally make ice cream cones instead!
Healthy Salted Caramel Cookie Dough Ice Cream Sundae
This healthy cookie dough ice cream sundae is everything you’d want a sundae to be, plus more. There’s the amazing vegan refined sugar free salted caramel sauce, the gluten free cookie dough, and the dairy free ice cream – which are all individually amazing, but together… they will blow your mind. (NOTE: Prep time doesn't include freezing time.)
- 5 frozen bananas
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1.5 x caramel sauce recipe with 1/2 tsp salt added (Note 1)
- 1 x cookie dough recipe (Note 2)
- In a blender or food processor, blend the frozen bananas and lemon juice until smooth and creamy.
- Transfer the banana ice cream into a bowl and mix in 3/4 of the prepared cookie dough (beforehand, crumble it into pieces of varying sizes). Leave the rest for sprinkling on top later.
- Transfer 1/2 of the banana cookie dough ice cream into the container you will use to freeze the ice cream. Spread it out into an even layer.
- Drizzle on top 1/3 of the salted caramel sauce.
- Transfer the other 1/2 of the banana cookie dough ice cream on top. Smooth it out into an even layer.
- Drizzle on top 1/3 of the salted caramel sauce (if you want, you can use a spoon or spatula to create a swirl effect). Leave the rest of the salted caramel sauce for drizzling on top later.
Freeze overnight. (Note 3)
- To serve, scoop out the salted caramel cookie dough ice cream into a bowl, drizzle with caramel sauce and sprinkle with cookie dough pieces.
- The healthy cookie dough ice cream keeps well in the freezer for about 2 - 3 weeks. (It'll be gone within a day, though.)
Note 1: Get the salted caramel sauce recipe here! I recommend adding the salt slowly bit by bit until you judge it to be just right. You can always add more, but you can't take it away.
Note 3: As the salted caramel sauce contains coconut oil, it will firm up in the freezer and become cloudy – that's natural and doesn't affect the taste!
Looking for more healthy ice cream inspiration? You’ve come to the right place!