This paleo & vegan caramel sauce is a true revelation. Healthy, dairy free and refined sugar free, it doesn’t quite seem possible – but it is. And it’s delicious. The recipe is incredibly quick and easy – 3 ingredients, 5 minutes and let’s say it’s single serving, shall we?
This post is part of the “How To’s” series. In it, I share bits and bobs which I believe that any cook/baker/foodie should know. (It’s also super useful if you don’t know into which category to place a recipe.) You can find all the “how to” tips, tricks and recipes here or in the recipe index under “How To’s”.
Go on. Read that title again. No, you haven’t misread anything. Really.
Still can’t comprehend it? Let’s go word by word.
And… no refined sugar.
WHAAAAAA? How does that even work?!
So glad you’ve asked.
You see, this paleo & vegan caramel sauce is everything it promises to be, and more. It’s as healthy as a caramel sauce can be, contains no dairy products and no refined sugar. Yes, I’ve said the last part already. But… I’m just so completely in caramel-love with this recipe I feel I had to reiterate it.
Also, caramel-love is totally a thing, and it’s one of the strongest loves there is. (‘Cause caramel is delicious and sticky. You know, sticky… strong adhesion… I’ll stop talking now.)
Let me tell you: I actually prefer this sugar free vegan caramel sauce to the usual sugar + butter + double cream version (no offence, salted caramel chocolate chip cookie bars). And when I say prefer, I mean the spoon that’s coming toward my mouth prefers it. I’m wholly innocent in this scenario. That last bit is 100% true.
“But but but ,” you might sputter at this point. “There’s nothing as glorious as caramelised sugar that’s had butter and double cream added to it to make a luscious shiny sweet gooeyness. I refuse to believe it!”
Well, allow me to set you straight. The maple syrup gives this vegan caramel sauce a depth of flavour that sugar could never achieve. And I guarantee that you won’t even think about butter and double cream when you have coconut oil and coconut cream. I’m willing to bet a cup of this healthy caramel sauce that you won’t. (If I lose, I eat it, and if I win, I eat it.)
This vegan caramel sauce requires only 3 ingredients (or 4, if you want to go the salted caramel route) and 5 minutes. That’s it. Oh, and a spoon. The spoon is very important. Because the sauce is initially too hot for the usual dip-the-finger-lick-the-finger procedure. So a spoon it is. Sigh. Life is hard.
So – if you’re vegan, paleo, have a food intolerance or allergy, or simply want to experience a SO MUCH BETTER caramel sauce: this quick and easy recipe is for you. I know, I know. I’ve just made your 2017. You’re welcome.
P.S. And next week, we’ll be using this a-h-mazing caramel sauce in a super duper healthy (and SO DELICIOUS) cookie dough and salted caramel sundae. Is it next week yet???
Paleo & Vegan Caramel Sauce (Gluten, Dairy & Refined Sugar Free)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 3/8 cup coconut cream (Note 1)
- 1/4 tsp salt optional
- In a small saucepan, heat the maple syrup on medium to high heat for 3 - 4 minutes until it reaches 112 - 115 ºC (234 - 239 ºF). At the beginning, the heated maple syrup will foam and form many small bubbles. After 3 - 4 minutes, the bubbles will be larger and the maple syrup will be more viscous.
- Add 2 tbsp coconut oil and stir well. Cook for 1 minute, stirring all the time. (Be careful to not burn yourself!)
- Add the coconut cream and stir well until the mixture becomes homogeneous. Leave on the heat for 30 seconds, then remove from heat and allow to cool. (Again: careful, it's hot!)
- If you want to make salted caramel sauce, add the salt immediately after removing from the heat. I have used 1/4 tsp of salt, but you can add it little by little until it suits your taste.
Like what you see? Then you’ll LOVE The Loopy Whisk on Instagram!
Wondering what to drizzle this caramel sauce over? If you don’t want to go the spoon+mouth route, see below for some yummy suggestions!