These paleo brownies are about as healthy as a brownie can get – but that certainly doesn’t prevent them from being perfectly dense, fudgy, sweet and delicious. The dairy free avocado ganache makes these gluten free brownies even more spectacular… and no, you can’t taste the avocado. (Psst, there’s a RECIPE VIDEO as well!)
Let me tell you something about food bloggers:
(1) It feels bloody amazing to describe myself as one.
(2) We usually get the best recipe ideas at the worst possible moment (like that one time in the lab with concentrated hydrochloric acid in hand… or at two in the morning… or in the middle of a conversation with a normal person (a.k.a. not a food blogger) who’s now probably afraid of you after you started squealing excitedly about an ohmygosh-totally-brilliant-recipe-I’ve-just-thought-of).
(3) We count our food-blogging lives in terms of unusual milestones.
For me, making a recipe video is a HUGE milestone and I feel like a totally (badass) food-blogging adult right now. Look at me, I’ve made a moving recipe-showing thingy!!! Which you should totally check out below!!! Because it also has magic-trick thingies like magically cleaning the surface, avocados being cut mid-fall, and me actually cutting roughly even pieces!!! (The last thing is the greatest miracle of all.)
Just look at all those exclamation marks. I’m totally chill and cool about this. (Wheeeeeee!) Totally chill.
You know what’s the real star of this recipe video, though? These AMAZING paleo brownies with avocado ganache. And when I say amazing, I mean that the piece that’s coming towards you in the last few second of the video below (which you should really watch), mysteriously disappeared immediately after that shoot. It hasn’t been seen since.
As you can see from the recipe video below (have I made my point yet?), they couldn’t be easier to make, and you probably have all the required ingredients already in your pantry.
Oh, you’ve got a few concern about his recipe? Of course you do. Let’s have it then.
Concern #1: Healthy gluten, dairy and refined sugar free brownies? Aren’t they… bleh?
NO!!! They are super delicious! The ground almonds replace the flour, and give a wonderful nutty flavour. Also, the fact that they’re flourless makes these paleo brownies delightfully dense and fudgy and really hard to over-bake. Which also means that you don’t need a ton of butter in this recipe. And the honey is more than enough to make these deliciously sweet and yummy.
Brownies: 1, sceptics: 0.
Concern #2: But… avocado ganache? Isn’t it slimy? And can’t you taste the avocado?
Ummm… no, it’s not slimy! It’s silky smooth, incredibly decadent, super chocolatey, and has this amazing shine to it – as expected from a good ganache. And, actually, no, you can’t taste the avocado. Even my mum can’t and she’s a taste-tester ninja – nothing sneaks past her. (Hi mum!)
Brownies: 2, sceptics: 0.
Concern #3: Okay, okay, but how can they be healthy? They’ve got looooads of fat and there’s sugar and and and…
Now, they’re not as healthy as a lettuce leaf (duh) but for a brownie… well, doesn’t get much better than this. This is a low carb – high protein – high fat recipe – aren’t these all the rage right now? (Please, no discussion about the pros and cons of each individual ingredient. Pleeeeease, don’t.)
Brownies: 3, sceptics: 0.
Concern #4: What about the colour? Why are these paleo brownies so dark?
Blame the cocoa powder. Unless you for some reason don’t like food that’s darker than a certain shade, you’ll love them.
Brownies: 4, sceptics: 0.
Concern #5: Fine. There’s no chocolate, therefore these paleo brownies aren’t brownies.
Really? Make them, taste them and then come back and tell me how these aren’t brownies.
Brownies: 5, sceptics: 0.
Concern #bazillion: But…
Hush, there’s a recipe video.
Brownies: ∞ (<— infinity), sceptics: 0.
Now that I’ve had a long written conversation with myself (totally a normal thing to do), I hope you’re convinced that these paleo brownies are THE BEST EVER and that making an avocado ganache is the idea of a genius. (Why, thank you, I’m flattered, but I can’t claim to have been the first to make it.)
Now, there’s a recipe video below which you should totally watch. Unfortunately, saying that no brownies have been harmed in the making of the video would be an utter lie. In my defence, they were delicious.
(If you’re on a smartphone, the video can be viewed best in full screen mode. You can also see it on Facebook!)
- 4 medium eggs
- ¾ cup honey
- ¾ cup almond milk
- 1½ cups finely ground almonds
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 large ripe avocados
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup honey
- Pre-heat oven to 175 ºC (350 ºF).
- Line a baking tray with baking/greaseproof paper (I've used an 8x8 inch baking tray).
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, honey and almond milk.
- Add ground almonds, cocoa powder and salt.
- Mix well until everything is evenly distributed.
- Transfer the brownie batter into the baking tray and bake in the pre-heated oven at 175 ºC (350 ºF) for 15 - 18 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out slightly dirty. (15 minutes gives avery fudgy brownie, 18 minutes a more cake-like brownie.)
- Allow to cool.
- In a blender or food processor, blend together the avocados, honey and cocoa powder until silky smooth.
- Spread the ganache onto the cooled brownies.
- Cut the brownies into pieces of the desired size (which is totally open to interpretation) and enjoy!
- These paleo brownies keep well in a closed container in a cool dry place for 3 - 4 days (hmmm... they'll be gone within the hour).
Looking for more paleo recipes? I’ve got you covered!