These gluten & dairy free breakfast muffins have absolutely everything going for them – they are easy and quick to prepare, super delicious and allergy friendly! With a healthy balance of fats, carbs and protein, they will keep you full until lunch, and the sugars will give you a kick of energy that everyone needs in the morning. Plus, there’s a crumble!
I love breakfast. No, you don’t understand. I go to sleep looking forward to breakfast. If I can’t sleep, and if I’m not pondering which cupcake and buttercream combination to try next, I’m deciding what I should have for breakfast the following day. Yes, my thoughts are very food-centric. No, I’m not sorry.
There’s a downside to being breakfast-crazy. I want (need) to take my time and savour whatever yumminess I’ve whipped up, which means that waking up half an hour before I need to rush out of the door is a big no-no. Instead, I wake up around 7 a.m. and enjoy this smoothie or that oatmeal. Breakfast time is taken very seriously ‘round here. But here’s the catch – I really really like my sleep, as well. And I’m pretty certain that you do, too. That’s where these insanely delicious gluten & dairy free breakfast muffins come in.
If “insanely delicious” sounds like an exaggeration to you… it isn’t.
The proof? (Is in the breakfast muffins, as they say.)
This is a 2-bowl recipe that takes only 30 minutes from start to finish.
You can prepare your breakfast in advance and enjoy the extra sleep.
The breakfast muffins are fluffy, moist and full of flavour.
They have the fats, the carbs and the protein to keep you full and energised all morning long.
They’re both gluten and dairy free.
THERE’S A CRUMBLE!!!
I mean, seriously, just look at the crumble:
It can hardly get any better than that. I couldn’t even finish taking photographs before taking a bite. (It was a delicious bite. That’s why I took another one.)
Breakfast muffins have been done before and in a bazillion different ways, each more delicious than the previous one. So why choose this recipe? Because it has everything going for it – it’s easy, it’s quick, and the results are delicious, filling and allergy friendly. And ‘cause I said so, and I’m extremely reliable when it comes to breakfast-choosing (it’s an art). And THERE’S A CRUMBLE!
- 50 g (1/2 cup) flaked almonds
- 85 g (1 cup) oats
- 50 g (1/4 cup) caster sugar
- 15 g (1/8 cup) gluten free flour
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 225 g (1¾ cups) gluten free flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 55 g (1/2 cup) ground almonds
- 70 g (1/2 cup) dates, chopped
- 65 – 100 g (1/3 – ½ cup) caster sugar (Note 1)
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup almond milk, or other non-dairy milk
- 2 medium eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ banana, mashed
- In a bowl, combine all almond crumble ingredients.
- Mix until everything is evenly distributed.
- Set aside.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 C (350 F) and line a cupcake tray with 9 cupcake cases.
- In a bowl, mix all breakfast muffins ingredients until a homogeneous mixture with no flour clumps forms.
- Using a spoon or an ice-cream scoop, fill each cupcake case ~3/4 full with the muffin batter.
- Sprinkle the almond crumble on top of the muffin batter (you should be able to evenly distribute all of the crumble among the 9 muffins).
- Bake in the pre-heated oven at 180 C (350 F) for 20 – 23 minutes, or until the crumble is light golden brown and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool, and enjoy!
- The gluten & dairy free breakfast muffins keep well in a closed container in a cool dry place for 3 – 4 days (be happy if they last 'til the morning).
Looking for more gluten free yumminess? Look no further!